Michael Ilseman, developer on the Swift team at Apple, joins John to go on a deep dive into the String type, its implementation, and its related APIs. Topics range from the way Swift’s String API is designed, to its underlying complexities, and practical performance tips.
This episode of Swift by Sundell was made possible thanks to two wonderful sponsors. Make sure to check them out to help support this show:
- Reveal: Inspect, debug, and live-edit your UIs — including views, layers, constraints, and gesture recognizers. Start your free trial at revealapp.com/sundell, and get 25% off your license using offer code SWIFTBYSUNDELL.
- Triplebyte: Apply to work for over 400 top tech companies through one single, fair and efficient interview process. Get a $1000 signing bonus when you find your Swift developer dream job at triplebyte.com/sundell.
- Michael on Twitter
- John on Twitter
- “UTF-8 String” on the Swift blog
- SE-0247: “Contiguous Strings”
- The dropFirst method
- String literals in Swift
- “String Essentials”
- “String Consumption”
- SE-0241: “Deprecate String Index Encoded Offsets”
- String’s indices property
- “Piercing the String Veil”
- “The Philosopher's String”, Michael’s try! Swift talk